We’re highlighting 13 optional projects that are either new infrastructure or services, or significant upgrades that fall outside our a ‘business as usual’ activities. Our legacy of prudent financial and asset management has set us up in an enviable position. We now have the opportunity to invest in significant improvements to realise our vision.
Click on the image ribbon above to view individual project information or see pages 8 – 15 of the Consultation Document.
Why these projects?
Through a series of Council workshops, and prior community engagement, many opportunities and ideas were considered and evaluated. These 13 projects were prioritised as making the biggest impact in realising our city vision – Life. Leisure. Live it! and, in some cases, also responding to growth and/or building resilience.
- Investing in these projects would go a long way toward us realising our city vision, but we must remain prudent in balancing improvements to our city with affordability.
- We’re providing summary information about the proposed projects and the contribution to our city vision priority areas (represented by the icons). You can also find more information on our website.
- The majority of the projects present Council’s preferred option – except for the Trentham Memorial Park upgrade, which has a range of potential options to choose from.
What will it cost?
Doing all of these projects would add 0.6% to the average annual net rates increases (averaging 3.43% over ten years) and increase public debt to $110 M (which includes $84 M for ‘business as usual’).
- Each project summary includes project costs. Please note that the annual rates per residential property shows the indicative rates cost per year of the project for an average residential property with a 2017 capital value of $417,000.
Including all 13 optional projects will mean an anticipated average 3.43% net increase in rates each year, over the next 10 years.
- If we don’t do any of these projects but only undertake ‘business as usual’ we’re anticipating an average 2.83% net increase in rates each year.
- The costs of these projects have been included in the ten year budgets and financial forecasts which are summarised on pages 18 – 20 of the Consultation Document.
- Due to the timing of some of the projects, costs may change in the future as we get closer to actually completing the work. We will keep the community up to date on major changes in future years during our Annual Plan processes.